  • Subject: Re: What About Price vs. Performance?
  • From: "Joe Pluta " <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 08:52:34 -0500

<ROTFL>

Leif, you're kidding me, right?  Back in the old days, it took 100msec to read
a single record from the disk, and we managed just fine.  Can my model 270
handle hundreds of simultaneous users?  Not now, no.  According to my figures,
it can only handle about 10 users.  But I haven't tried to extrapolate stress
numbers, either.

Anyway, it's not an issue.  Here's the beauty of my approach, Leif.  ALL of my
HTML generation can be moved off of the AS/400 to one of those blazing web
servers Scott Klement talks about - WITHOUT A SINGLE LINE OF CODE CHANGE TO MY
AS/400 APPLICATION.

You see, by completely splitting the HTML generation from the business
application, I've created a true n-tier design.  I can put as many $1000 web
application servers on the front line as I want, all accessing the AS/400 for
data.  The code doesn't change, because the Java Toolbox that I use for
communication is 100% Java, and will run on any Java-enabled platform.  On top
of that, I'm looking into using JDBC procedure calls, which will make even the
toolbox unnecessary.

So if I have UI problems, I simply add another $1000 box and get another 100
users.  There's no relational database requirements on those boxes, so they
absolutely fly.  The AS/400 is limited solely by its database processing
capabilities, not its UI requirements.

You can't do that with green screens or with RPG-CGI.

Joe

No, but I wrote my first screen handler for the AS/400 on a B30
back in 1989. I have here in front of me my log book from that
time. I did a timing test of building/displaying a screen (worst
case - full of fields and data). My log book entry for 1989/4/20
says 46msec. On the 150, that same screen takes only 1.35msec,
so there has been *some* progress. I would hate to have that
HTML. How can you support several hundred users with
100msec CPU time per screen?