  • Subject: Re: IPL source: ##MACH#A - Uh oh!
  • From: "Neil Palmer" <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:41:05 -0400

Dan,

It does indeed appear from this that you are running on an 'A' side that
is base V3R2 code.  Cum package C8139320 (the TL98139) is not necessarily
the only package that has been applied to this system, but none of the
others shown on your list (other than the 'RE' PTF's that were part of
V3R2 base code) show as Permanently Applied.  (By the way, C8139320 was
the LAST cum package issued for V3R2M0).
We can tell that no previous cum packages were permanently applied to the
A side because they all show Superseded, right back to TL96144 (cum
package C6144320).  If you had permanently applied previous cum packages
the 'TL9nnnn' indicator PTF's would have show up as Permanently Applied,
as TL97126 does in this example:
                              Display PTF Status
                                                            Syste
Product ID  . . . . . . :   5763999
IPL source  . . . . . . :   ##MACH#B
Release . . . . . . . . :   V3R2M0

Type options, press Enter.
  5=Display PTF details   6=Print cover letter   8=Display cover

     PTF                                                   IPL
Opt  ID       Status                                       Action
     TL98139  Permanently applied                          None
     TL98048  Superseded                                   None
     TL97322  Superseded                                   None
     TL97231  Superseded                                   None
     TL97126  Permanently applied                          None
     TL97063  Superseded                                   None
     TL97014  Superseded                                   None
     TL96317  Superseded                                   None
     TL96282  Superseded                                   None
     TL96233  Superseded                                   None
     TL96219  Superseded                                   None
     TL96191  Superseded                                   None
     TL96165  Superseded                                   None
     TL96144  Superseded                                   None
     RE96102  Permanently applied                          None

You need to scroll through the list to see if any of the 'MF' PTF's show
as Permanently applied.
They are the only ones that would be active when IPL'd from the 'A' side.

I think there was also a question about group PTF's.  These are refreshed
on a regular basis so you always get the latest PTF's for a particular
area (like Database, Fax, etc.).  These PTF's may make their way onto a
future cumulative PTF package, but they are more current.  For example,
you should have Database group PTF SF99105 available to apply after
upgrading to V4R5.  In some cases (like the Y2K fixes for V3R2) there were
no future cumulative PTF's packages planned for that release, so the PTF's
in the Group PTF package would never appear on a cum PTF package.

As to whether you can apply additional PTF's at the same time as the
cumulative PTF package, read the instructions for the cumulative package
to see if that is allowed.  Sometimes you are instructed to apply the
cumulative package (OR maybe selected PTF/s from it) before applying
additional PTF's.  This usually occurs when there are PTF's to fix issued
with the PTF application process itself.

Neil Palmer      DPS Data Processing Services Canada Ltd.
50 Acadia Avenue, Ste.102                   AS/400~~~~~
Markham, Ontario, Canada.   ____________          ___  ~
Phone:(905) 474-4890 x303   |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
Fax:  (905) 474-4898         oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
mailto:NeilP@DPSlink.com  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.DPSlink.com     iSeries 400  The Ultimate Business Server

D.BALE@handleman.com
Sent by: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com