  • Subject: Re: Stress testing
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:29:51 EST

From Al Macintyre

Before we did physical inventory for the first time on our ERP, the office
manager had a test ... first he gave everyone a briefing - we will want you
sing out if ANYONE notices any degradation, and we made sure everyone knew
what that meant.  When we were told to START we were to be keying in dummy
data just as fast as we could, to see if the software accepted the data
without any slow down.

Then we started with one person & every few minutes added another one person
to the pot, and as I recall we had no degradation until we hit person number
six.

The reason for this test was that I had expressed some concern about the
physical inventory data being ONE FILE ... might there be any degradation
with A LOT of people simultaneously adding records to the SAME FILE?

Later, as one of the steps of a different ERP implementation, we did the same
kind of thing, clusters of people working in various applications ... key as
fast as you can, any old garbage, just to see if there is any degradation
when we have large numbers of people in the SAME APPLICATION at the same time.

I believe this sort of test is documented within ERP project implementation
guidelines that are irrespective of the host computer system, 400 or
otherwise.  It is one of many things that an implementation team does to make
sure that the overall system has the capacity for the expected load.

If you are looking for 400 performance issues that will hit your box, thanks
to a new ERP to be implemented, or new facilities to be added to your
corporate support needs, or revised ways of connecting PCs, then you need to
get at the IBM Sizing Questionairre that IBM has tailored to many different
ERPs.  Check with your IBM & ERP partners to get the right one for you.

You feed into the sizing questionairre some information about the ERP
applications you will be using, the number of connected sessions of which
kinds, the performance you expect, the volumes of transactions, lots of stuff
& out cranks IBM reccommendation about hardware needed to support this.

If you are looking for everything that could possibly go wrong with an ERP
that has flawed software or flawed training of the personnel, but of course
you do not know where the flaws are & need testing to locate them, and thus
should be included in your testing regimen, then perhaps the place to start
is http://www.apics.org

When we converted from BPCS/36 to BPCS 405 CD, we had a series of conference
room pilots which generated identification of several hundred problems that
had to be fixed before we could go live.

If you know WHICH ERP this is for ... you might check with the internet
discussion groups SPECIFIC to that ERP ... people already in that ERP might
have some tips for you regarding structural problems specific to that ERP &
common mistakes made in its implementation.

I am sending extra copy of my reply direct to you because some of my posts to
midrange L & BPCS L seem to go into a limbo of not showing up for days, while
others bounce back to me within hours & I never know in advance which will be
which.

>  From:    Art_Baker@baan.com (Art Baker)

>  Hello,
>   I am looking for information on stress testing an ERP implemention
>  on AS400. There is the basic ERP software plus some customizations and
>  integrations. Is there a redbook or other recommendations you might have
>  implementing a test?
>  Thanks,
>  Art

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838