  • Subject: converting files and many views
  • From: Angela Wawrzaszek <wawrzaszeka@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:44:03 -0500

I am curious as to why transferring data is not standard

ie.  I take a as/400 file  and transfer it in the following ways and each one gives me a different file.

1.  Transfer into excel,  then do saveas to .csv     This produces the desired file.  No quotes on the char fields and no line wrapping.  However I can not seem to find a way to automate this.

2.  AS/400 data transfer  (.dtf file)  and then do as/400 command   cpy  obj(myfile.csv)  toobj(newfile.csv)  fromcodpag(*pcascii)  dtafmt(*text)        This produces a csv file but it has quotes around the char fields which I do not want.

3.  AS/400 data transfer (.dtf file)   and then do with strpco  I copy the csv file to the desired name.    This also produces a csv file with quotes in the char fields.

4.CPYTOIMPF  -  creates csv file no quotes however it line wraps.

5.  FTP through a .bat file -   creates gibberish.

Is there a way to NOT put quotes on the char fields using CA dta transfer?  This seems to be the only way the file gets created normally with out having to manually bring it in to excel and do a saveas.

I have been going through the archives and it seems everyone is using cpytoimpf  and the cpy obj commands.  However when I try these I am still not getting the file I desire.

Thanks!!!

Angie Wawrzaszek
M.I.S. Department