>> Could someone explain what Exit Programs are and typical uses, if possible
show an example.

Exit programs are programs that can be installed on the system by the system
administrator for specific servers. Once you register an exit program against a
particular server, it is called every time that server is called. It is passed a
parameter list with information about what request is being passed to the server
and who is doing the call, and it returns a parameter saying "yes, go ahead and
process the request" or "no, reject the request".

Typically, they are either used as an extra layer of security control or as an
extra logging point. For example, you might set up an exit program for FTP (the
standard File Transfer protocol used with TCP) to keep a list of all files that
FTP users have downloaded, including time, date, and who the request came from.
Or you might set up an exit program for Telnet (the standard protocol used with
TCP to let remote users get terminal access to the system) to look at a
controlled list of who you expect to be using Telnet, and when, and reject any
unexpected requests.

Sample exit programs are sprinkled through quite a few different redbooks and
security manuals. Be aware that once an exit program is registered, it will be
called each and every time that server is called, so it needs to process
requests as efficiently as possible in order to avoid becoming a perceivable
bottleneck.

A number of vendors, such as Pentasafe and Powertech, sell exit programs; the
following URL has a fairly complete list of such vendors:
http://www.as400.ibm.com/developer/tools/sysm.html#group15

From: Janet Krueger      507 529 8777 ext 110
Andrews Consulting Group       www.andrewscg.com