I'm using Ops Navigator to create an SQL collection, tables, etc.

One of the tantalizing options I've run across is the ability to create a
user-defined function or procedure, but it's giving me grief.  First, we
don't have the C compiler, so when I attempted to create a function using
SQL statements, I got a "You don't have a C compiler" error.  While I was
creating it, I noticed that there were options for using external functions
created in a variety of languages - the pull down list of language choices
reads: C, C++, CL, COBOL, COBOLLE, PLI, RPG, RPGLE.

We have a long-standing RPG program that we've used over the years for doing
a common conversion.  The RPG program passes 2 parameters via the *entry
plist, one is the in value, the other the out value.  Let's call it CVRPGM.

What I hoped to do was create a function (let's call it converter() ) based
on the RPG program CVRPGM that I could use in a select statement in a
fashion like this:

Select name, unconverted_value, converter(unconverted_value)
from library.table;

When I try to create the function in the collection I have to set it up with
a return value, but I cannot figure out how (if it's even possible) to get
RPG to give up a return value.  But if it's not possible, why is RPG listed
as an option for creating an external function?  I've had no luck searching
the manuals, but it's probably staring me in the face.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  We're running V4R4

Thanks

Eugene Glover