  • Subject: RE: ACMS Aldon
  • From: Bill Erhardt <ERHARDT@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 10:33:18 -0500

We have been using ALDON for 8 years and it has proven to be a very worthy
utility.  It is worth its weight in system resources for large projects, or
projects that require off hour installs but it can slow things down if your
only making a minor change to one program.  We have a development box and
two production boxes.  One of the production boxes is local, the other is
remote.  We use SNA to distribute to the local box and FTP for the remote
(our WAN does not route SNA traffic).  Aldon uses a third party software
product (from bug busters) to handle the FTP side of distribution.
In the eight years we have been using the product I've found only three
short falls:
1) It gets a little funky when dealing with IBM object types like DFU and
MENU
2) It requires a lock on the based on physical file when distributing a
changed or new logical file.
3) It does not support SQL views.

I can see where they would have a problem with SQL views.  The system sees
views as logical views without access paths and are not source based.  We
have greatly restricted our use of views not so much because of an Aldon
short comings as the fear of recovering or changing something that is not
source based.
Digging them about DFU's and MENU's is kind of a cheep shot.  We have moved
away from both object types.
Needing locks to distribute logical views is, in my mind, a real problem.
We have worked around it via astute installs or distributing individual
objects manually (outside of Aldon).

Having said this Aldon has saved me so much time and so many headaches that
I don't think I would work to work in a shop without it.