  • Subject: RE: Lansa, any drawbacks?
  • From: "Art Tostaine, Jr." <art@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:50:30 -0500

Robert:

My company, CCA, has been selling our RPG based trucking/warehousing/etc.
package for at least 10 years.  We decided that we wanted to rewrite our
application from the ground up after Y2k.

We decided on Lansa about 18 months ago, and we started serious development
in September 2000.    We also joined Lansa's reseller program, because the
app's we develop will require some Lansa runtime licenses (and possibly
development licenses for customers).  We are just beginning beta testing of
the app now, all written in Visual Lansa.  We can connect to any number of
databases, including the DB2/400 (or whatever it's called), and NT.

We have written many Lansa functions for web interfaces to the new app.
Allow customers to enter pickups, tracing, etc.

To answer your performance question, Lansa for Web submits batch jobs to
create the HTML on the fly.  It is very fast.  Since you've seen the sales
pitch, you know that www.songfile.com is running on a model 170.  You can
search a database of over 2 million songs there.  It's quick because the
batch jobs are running fast native RPG Code.

Our only real problem in developing with Lansa has been the learning curve.
It's not difficult to learn, or to be proficient, but we jumped right from
RPG coding to Visual event driven programming.  That was our big step.

We've integrated Lansa into our existing RPG apps, and we've also used it
from the ground up.

Even though I am a reseller, I stand to make no money from your purchase.
My comments are genuine.  We made our decision as a software developer
first, then we became resellers.

I just came from another demo at a long time customer of mine.  They were
floored.  The demo is not just hype.  It's real.

One "power user" at my customer was thrilled about the Lansa/Client
reporting tool.  She wanted to buy it right there.

Art Tostaine, Jr.
CCA, Inc.
Jackson, NJ 08527