  • Subject: Re: DSP PGM REF Opposite
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 23:40:12 -0600

As a consultant, I run across this quite often. Working on an unfamiliar
application, you know a problem exists in a given program, but you don't have a
clue how the progeam is executed.  Assuming the user can recreate the problem,
looking at the call stack can provide the answer. the problem in your situation,
is that you do not know at what split second ORD561 is executing. Here is my
solution:

Start debug on the program in question(ORD561) . Make sure to use UPDPROD(*YES).
        (I usually use STRSRVJOB from my workstation over the user's job.
        Using STRSRVJOB the STRDBG command is executed over the serviced job.
        This way you can even use this technique in batch or interactive jobs.)
CHGDBG MAXTRC(1)
ADDTRC
Have user perform the function.
As soon as the program (ORD561) begins, the trace will be full, and the job will
halt.
        a trace full message will be displayed at your workstation.
DSPJOB option 11 on the user's job. You now see the call stack.
ENDDBG
ENDSRVJOB

Not the most elegant way, but it will give you the answer you need.

What do you think, a worthwhile technique.

Bob