Bart Verweijen wrote:

> I need a SQL that copies all this data to a new type where the eancode
> length = 13.  I don't know what function I
>can use to get those ean-codes with length = 13.

I mis-understood your original question.  If I understand rightly, you need
a "length" function so you can select * from xxx where len(EANCODE)=13.
Since CHARLEN and LENGTH work best with variable length string fields, I
wrote a UDF (User Defined Function) that does an RPG CHECKR to find the
length of the data within the field.  This *seems* to work, but you might
want to do a lot of testing on it to be sure.  It's my first UDF.  I was
unable to look at it in debug - it runs in another thread and won't break
for me.  I may yet be doing something wrong.

Anyway, here's the code.  I owe David Morris thanks for pointing me to the
April 2000 article in Midrange Computing.
http://www.midrangecomputing.com/mc/article.cfm?titleid=a289&md=20004

h debug dftactgrp(*no) actgrp(*caller)
 * dbgview(*list)

 * Test the length of an SQL string User Defined Function.
 * to register:

 * CREATE FUNCTION STRLEN (VARCHAR(256))
 * RETURNS INTEGER
 * RETURNS NULL ON NULL INPUT
 * LANGUAGE RPGLE
 * EXTERNAL NAME 'BUCK/SQLUDFLEN'
 * DETERMINISTIC
 * NO SQL
 * NO EXTERNAL ACTION
 * PARAMETER STYLE SQL
 * DISALLOW PARALLEL

d inpChar         s            256    varying
d outLen          s             10i 0
d inpInd          s              5i 0
d outInd          s              5i 0
d outSQLState     s              5
d inpFuncName     s            139    varying
d inpSpecName     s            128    varying
d outDiagTxt      s             70    varying

c     *entry        plist
c                   parm                    inpChar
c                   parm                    outLen
c                   parm                    inpInd
c                   parm                    outInd
c                   parm                    outSQLState
c                   parm                    inpFuncName
c                   parm                    inpSpecName
c                   parm                    outDiagTxt

c     ' '           checkr    inpChar       outLen

c                   eval      *inlr = *on

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY
"Nothing is so firmly believed as
 that which we least know" -- Michel Montaigne
Visit the Midrange archives at http://www.midrange.com