  • Subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest V4 #43
  • From: Scott Klement <klemscot@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:06:26 -0600 (CST)

This wouldn't prevent someone from doing a DOS attack, or a buffer
overflow exploit on a UDP service...Heck, you could probably even use a
buffer overflow exploit to turn your outgoing routing back on so that you
could do some more useful hacking.

And it doesnt help at ALL during the time that you ARE connected to the
internet.

The best solution will always be a firewall running on a router/gateway
thats external from the machine that you're trying to protect.