  • Subject: Re: Help with Date Last Used Reporting...
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:44:16 EST

I promised:

>  I wrote a CL a month or so ago that does a DSPOBJD of *QRYDFN &
>  other stuff to a file, in which we refresh the whole thing every nite so
>  folks have query access to all queries that we have by a variety of
> sequences

My earlier post gave you URLs to get at FILES involved in Queries

<snip>

Our nightly update is submitted to JOBQ from menu not job scheduler so as to
include standard library list, then it ADDLIBLE some development libraries
not in our standard library list, with some obvious MONMSG & some other
MONMSG I not yet bothered to add.

I clear the FILE(XFILES/&WORK) from previous evening then
DSPOBJD OBJ(*ALL) OBJTYPE(*PGM) DETAIL(*FULL) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE)
OUTFILE(XFILES/&WORK) and
DSPOBJD OBJ(*ALL/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*QRYDFN) DETAIL(*FULL) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE)
OUTFILE(XFILES/&WORK) OUTMBR(*FIRST *ADD)

Query criteria includes
ODLBNM NLIST 'QSYS' 'QSYS2' 'QUSRSYS' and some conversion libraries
because for the moment our focus is on our own application stuff such as
X_PROGRAMS lists what has been recently modified & what is still in QA
testing or when was the last time we implemented a modification of some
program now under discussion to help MIS & QA management review & what have
we overlooked

X-PROGRAMS query looks at such fields as
ODOBSZ Byte Size Complexity Measure
ODOBNM Program Name
ODLBNM Library
ODUCNT Days Used Popularity Count
ODUDAT Date last Used
ODSRCD Date last Modified
ODCDAT Date originally Created
ODCRTU First Programmer here
ODOBTX Description for Clarification

Some of our queries
ODLBNM EQ 'CIIIQUERY' specifying libraries in our standard library list
publically accessible to our users that contain *QRYDFN & CLP to run them off
Menus
then we sort this by ODOBTX Text Description with
ODOBNM Query Name
ODOBTX Description ending in initials of whose query this is
ODUCNT Days Used Popularity Count
ODUDAT Date Last used mdy
ODLDAT Change date mdy
ODCDAT Creation date mdy
ODOBTP Type - Query or CLP to run it
ODOBAT Subtype of Software
ODCPVR System Version

This query is used primarily by end users in each department to see what
exists & the name of the query to do something & also helps people creating
new queries to see good stuff to clone off of.

Then I have one in which I substring ODCDAT to get DAT-MADE in mm/dd/yy *DATE
for comparison with CURRENT(DATE) to get *DAYS since it was created then I
figure percentage usage as reported by ODUCNT.

We recognize from a recent thread that there may be a flaw in the DAYS COUNT
field but I am assuming it is a consistent flaw, so the high percentage used
stuff is a reliable rating.

My purpose here is to identify what it is we use the most, then focus on
those queries from perspective of audit (no bugs) and performance review when
large files or complexity involved.  Also there is the opposite perspective
of finding our under utilized queries ... some may have been replaced by
something so much superior it is time for them to take a powder, while others
may indicate intermittent problems in which low use is valid.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838