  • Subject: Re: Mass ILE recompile question.
  • From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 21:37:46 -0500

>If you have to recompile
>physical files, you will lose all the data there, so have to incorporate a
>process to copy the data from the old layout to the new one, and also kill
>all the logicals first & recompile them when all done.

Not since V3R2 and V3R7+.  Starting with those releases, CHGPF has a keyword
SRCFILE() which makes the whole process automagic.  You just point it to the new
(ie changed) DDS and it remaps the data and takes care of the logicals too.  It
just needs exclusinve access to the file during the process.  It issues a
warning first if data could be lost -- e.g., a field is shortened or a field
name has been dropped.

I think I remember hearing there are some scenarios where the LF's aren't
completely handled automatically, but that has never been the case in my
experience.  The thing has been working like a charm for me for years now.

Doug