> Subj:  system dumps
>  Date:    12/22/2000 1:00:38 PM Central Standard Time
>  From:    vpetrov@acme400.ACMESTEEL.COM (Valentin Petrov)
>
>  Whenever there is problem with the QTCP and we have a dump of 24pages
> scrap to the system printer, which is used by many users. I tried to change
> the user profile QTCP, so that scrap goes to virtual printer - but I have a
> message that system user profiles could not be changed.
>  So I was wandering what is the way to redirect all that garbage to
somewhere
> else or just put it on hold.
>  I think there are more system dumps, that I would not like printed.
>  Thanks for all your help.
>  Val

Short answer suggestion

Determine owner of the system dumps ... perhaps QSECOFR ... go into user
profile & find where it has defaults for what happens to output from that
owner ... redirect to a spool file that does not have a printer writer
attached.

Long answer understanding more possibilities

We have recurring problems with where we want printouts to go since we have
users in multiple facilities, multiple printers, some users who work some
days of week one office other days of week another office, many people
creating query/400 & I have had some clarification from various sources,
mainly IBM classes, of stuff that was not clear to me earler & from this I
derived a big picture on where we can control where we want reports to go.
Here is cut & paste from what is relevant to our situation but hopefully much
also helpful to you.

Introduction & Abstract 1
System values are our starting point.   1
Device rules can override System Values.    2
PC printers emulating 400 printers  2
Font Control    2
Work station address rules can override Device rules.   3
User sign-on rules can override Work station rules. 3
Same user @ multiple sites = modification idea. 3
Job Description rules can override User profile rules.  4
IBM 4247 which drawer convenience   4
Printer Device File & Query can override Job Description.   5
Special Forms like JT05 5
Query/400   5
OUTQ defaults   5
CL program off of Menu can override the above.  5
User at WRKSPLF can change rules before releasing to print a particular
report. 6
Summary of important lessons from Al at IBM school: 6

Well I tried to send the whole thing but AOL cannot process my e-mail so I
suspect it is over the limit for midrange_L also, so I will break it into
smaller installments to send just to you.

System Values set the rules unless something overrides them.
Device rules can override System Values.
Work station address rules can override Device rules.
User sign-on rules can override Work station rules.
Job Description rules can override User profile rules.
Printer Device File & Query can override Job Description.
CL program off of Menu can override the above.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838