  • Subject: RE: XML Attributes
  • From: "Carl Galgano" <cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:29:29 -0500

I don't think XML with take over the EDI World.  Why change one set of
standards for another?  Many large corps have millions of dollars invested
in traditional EDI systems.  Why would they change to XML for little or no
improvement?  I think XML is a compliment to trad EDI in the sense that it
can be used to get the last mile on EDI, smaller vendors who are unable to
incapable or doing EDI.  Send them an XML document that can be viewed in a
web browser.   Many of the EDI translators can now also produce XML, so you
can have a single system generate a document in either EDI or XML format.

Also, the misconception about EDI standards is that they are standard.  You
will NEVER receive EDI documents in all the same format/standard.  The
reason for this is because companies and industries do business differently
and the EDI standards are merely a reflection of the way various
companies/industries do business.  It is a business issue and NOT a
technical/EDI issue.  I hear this argument/complaint all the time.  If you
never heard of EDI, do you all the paper POs from your customers look the
same?  Of course NOT.  one customer may send you a single PO with a single
ship to location, another may send you a single PO and at the detail level
of the PO order 10 widgets and have you ship 1 widget to 10 different
locations.  Do you dis the paper POs as not being "standard", of course NOT.
Some industries have attempted to create a subset implementation of an ANSI
x.12 document in order to speed implementation in a certain industry
segment.  Basically, the customer sets the rules for EDI and the vendor does
what ever it takes.  I don't see XML changing that at all.

Just my opinions.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street, Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw