  • Subject: Tool to extract Query Definitions (*QRYDFN)
  • From: AIV <aiv@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:04:30 +0100

Hi,
first of all, I'd like to thank all people who gave their ideas on the
subject I posted some weeks ago, relative to how to retreive information
on files being used by Queries built using Query/400.

To my big surprise ( I even asked directly someone out in Rochester)
most of  the answers were “CAN'T BE DONE”, although I must admit maybe
that only meant "nobody yet thought that was a need" and there was no
easy way, nor an API, to build something "automatic", to help people
document which Queries were being affected  (and would therefore crash
next time would be used...) if a specific file in the DataBase was
modified.

Some ideas came up using DMPOBJ, RTVQMQRY, ... which are correct, but
either "obscure", or not handy, or incomplete...

Happily enough, someone offered me a REAL SOLUTION: I want to publicly
thank Carsten Flensburg, who offered me an RPG IV source that could do
the work... It was just what I needed. I only had to "customize" it to
my specific needs, and so I did, and    IT WORKS PERFECTLY ! I asked
Carsten permission to offer the modified version here, just in case
anybody has a similar need, and he commented that Gary Guthrie was the
original author of part of the MI version... So, I want to thank Gary
aslo for that!

Anyway, if someone needs to build a “cross reference” of files (Input
and Output) used by a Query,

- I start doing a DSPOBJD   <libname>/*ALL  *QRYDFN  to a file,
e.g.      QTEMP/QRYOBJD
- I then call Carsten's program, modified (just small, minor
modifications...) :
      * it reads QTEMP/QRYOBJD and writes extracted information to a new
file (QRYDFNF in our case)
      * for each Query, I was interested in :
               - Input files used (up to 32)
               - Output type (i.e., Display, Printer, DataBase)
               - in case DataBase output, to which output File
- Detail or Summary

The output of  the program is left in a file which I call QRYDFNF. Its
external description, and some suggestions about compiling/using it are
included at the beginning of the program’s source.

I am astonished how clean ... and FAST it works ! Our AS/400, a model
620, has some hundreds of Queries.
First step, obtaining the DSPOBJD output is fast. But the second one,
retreiving the information for each one and all of them with Carten's
program is EVEN FASTER... (at least, that’s how it seems...) though I
have not measured it.

Really great.

I am so thankful to Carsten (and Gary too of course), that with his
explicit permission, I am glad to offer people in this List the program,
on an "as is" basis, in case anyone needs it.
Good luck to all
--
Antonio Fernandez-Vicenti
aiv@ctv.es