Title: XML Attributes

I know this is not an XML forum, but since this thread seems to be acceptable, I'll continue. I've written some software to convert  our DDS to an XML construct for communicating what used to be a display buffer to an NT. Due to a bug it generated a very large value between two tags. It then dawned on me that XML does not seem to allow a developer to describe the attributes of data. Whatever is between the tags seems to be it. So if a bug appears in a program and it generates a value between the tags of 9999999999999999 when in fact it should only be 99, then as far as XML is concerned, it's correct. At least with a 5250 data stream there seems to be some basic data type/structure checking done for you .

Is there some mysterious way that XML allows the developer to define some more sophisticated attributes than just a string of indeterminate length? (as long as it's between two "well-formed" tags?

Another example might be of an invoice amount. Does  <amount>50000</amount> mean $500.00 or $50000?
The idea of XML is great. It's just that its implementation seems too simplistic.

Do I have to end up using special tags to encode a string which may have some meaning to code on the server? And that solution is no good if you want to deliver XML and it's style sheet directly to the browser.