  • Subject: Re: Anyone hosted a web site using IDSL?
  • From: Chris Whisonant <Chris.Whisonant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:41:01 -0500

144kbps is extremely slow in today's world.  Unless you just really want to use your AS/400 in your neighborhood you probably won't have much choice.  Are you going to be serving many files or just web pages?  If there is not much traffic at the onset, then 144kbps may be good enough to just send pages.  If you expect (or hope for) more traffic than say 100 hits per day, then you may want to out source to another company specializing in web hosting. (www.xeran.com has been good for me
Another question.  Is cable modem available?  It may be quicker than your IDSL offering.  If it is and you're concerned with security, then cable and dsl are both just as prone to the same security problems.  DSL is just marketed to businesses more often because of the perceived security factor.  Cable modem should be cheaper and should be able to have the same basic setup as the DSL connection including a dedicated IP address.
I hope this has helped a little bit.
Chris Whisonant

Mid-Range Systems Administrator
IBM Certified iSeries/400 Associate System Operator
Rock Hill Telephone Company
(803) 324-7270
mailto:Chris.Whisonant@RHTelCo.com
+--- | This is the Midrange System Mailing List! | To submit a new message, send your mail to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com. | To subscribe to this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-SUB@midrange.com. | To unsubscribe from this list send email to MIDRANGE-L-UNSUB@midrange.com. | Questions should be directed to the list owner/operator: david@midrange.com +---