  • Subject: Re: Evaluate complex conditions
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:58:51 GMT

Here's a way I solved the same sort of issue recently:

Firstly there were only a few fields, less than 6, that were appropriate
for users to make a choice on.  The choice they asked for was to be able
to include or exclude certain field values in combination with other field
values.  To do it I made a selection screen with an entry area for each
selection item and  drop-down box w/subfile so they could select one or
more valid values for each field. Each entry area also had an associated
radio button for include/exclude.  One selection item had 8 valid choices
so I added a checkbox group for it.   By using include and exclude choices
there is no need for the and/or choice; the choices are ALL "and".

Then, I added the ability to save the last settings used by a user so the
user could do it over and over, selecting small changes for slightly
different reports.

The end result is an easily understood green screen application for the
average user, and a great deal of flexibility for the data that is of
concern, yet no chance for the user to get caught up in trivial or
duplicate selection processes.   (don't you just hate having to explain
that using both "include" and "exclude" criteria on the same field value
will give unexpected results?)

This limits choices and flexibility but my experience is that these limits
are a "good thing"tm.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com