  • Subject: RE: V4R5, Twinax & SNA & TCPIP
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 12:41:11 -0500

Pat,

My point exactly on the LU6.2.  It would take a lot of work to remove the
support.  But, my sales staff is getting nervous.  We are going to take the
easy route:  Just try it.  I am in the process of tracking down a V4R5
machine in the Indianapolis area right now.  My bet is that it will work.

Re my preference for Ethernet/TCPIP for attachment of PC's, it is just that.
My preference.  We have done a lot of twinax attachment at a lot of
customers over the years.  And I can say without reservation that attaching
our servers via Ethernet/TCPIP is much easier and more stable than
Twinax/APPC.

You are correct that TCPIP attached printers generate a lot of questions on
this forum.  Part of that is because many of these printers could never be
direct attached via twinax so they wouldn't generate a question.  But I will
agree that if given a choice between Twinax attaching a printer and TCPIP
the exact same model, the twinax will probably be easier.  But then how does
your LAN access it?  The nice thing about TCPIP attached printers is that
virtually any OS can talk to it all at the same time.  Again, just my
opinion.  And you are entitled to yours.  That is why we still have a twinax
attached product!

Regards,
Bob Crothers