  • Subject: Re: Anyone written CL based "ping" checks ?
  • From: rob@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:43:08 -0500

I do an
OVRDBF FILE(OUTPUT) TOFILE(OUTFILE)
just before the ftp session and analyze the outfile.  But your suggestion
sounds good.  How do you front end the command?  Do it in a clp?  Like do
your ping routine and then execute the ftp?  Or did you modify the command
itself and add a prompt override program or some such animal?

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

                    Scott.Lindstrom@zen

                    ith.com                    To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com

                    Sent by:                   cc:

                    owner-midrange-l@mi        Subject:     Re: Anyone written
CL based "ping" checks ?
                    drange.com

                    10/17/00 09:22 AM

                    Please respond to

                    MIDRANGE-L

I must have missed the doc where this new feature was listed when I went to
V4R3 and V4R4!  Glad to know it now.

The reason we do what we do is I have front-ended the QSYS/FTP command such
that it PING's the remote site first.  If the PING's fail (actually if x%
of them don't work, since we don't always get 100%), we send a message to
the console.  We'd rather have a FTP delayed while someone figures out
what's wrong on the other side, rather than have the FTP plow ahead and
fail.  From a job scheduler point of view, we'd rather not deal with jobs
that abend simply because the remote site is temporarily unreachable.

Scott Lindstrom

                    rob@dekko.com
                    Sent by:                   To:
MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
                    owner-midrange-l@mi        cc:
                    drange.com                 Subject:     Re: Anyone
written CL based "ping"
                                               checks ?

                    10/16/2000 04:59 PM
                    Please respond to
                    MIDRANGE-L

Doesn't this crud add inspiration to upgrade your OS?  Isn't
PING       RMTSYS(NOTESFAX) MSGMODE(*QUIET *ESCAPE)
MONMSG     MSGID(TCP3210 TCP3202) EXEC(GOTO CMDLBL(ALERT))
much more readable?

Rob Berendt

==================
Remember the Cole!

This is the skeleton of what we do before any FTP:

DCL        VAR(&SUCCESSBIN) TYPE(*CHAR) LEN(4)
DCL        VAR(&SUCCESSDEC) TYPE(*DEC) LEN(15)

           PING       RMTSYS(&RMTSYS) INTNETADR(&IP) NBRPKT(10) /* +
                         Check if the remote system responds */
            MONMSG     MSGID(TCP3202) EXEC(DO) /* Unknown Host */
                (send some error message)
                GOTO (some label)
            ENDDO

            RCVMSG     MSGTYPE(*COMP) RMV(*NO) MSGDTA(&MSGDTA12) +
                         MSGID(&MSGID) /* Get the last completion +
                         message; it should be TCP3210 which gives +
                         the success percentage */

            IF         COND(&MSGID *NE 'TCP3210') THEN(DO) /* If +
                         not what we expected */
                GOTO       CMDLBL(STRFTP) /* Try the FTP anyways */
            ENDDO

            CHGVAR     VAR(&SUCCESSBIN) VALUE(%SST(&MSGDTA12 9 4)) +
                         /* Extract out the success percentage */
            CVTBIN4DEC BINARY(&SUCCESSBIN) DECIMAL(&SUCCESSDEC) /* +
                         and convert to decimal so we can check it +
                         easiliy */

            IF         COND(&SUCCESSDEC *GE 10) THEN(DO) /* If at +
                         least 10% of the pings worked */
                GOTO       CMDLBL(STRFTP) /* Do the FTP */
            ENDDO
            ELSE       CMD(DO)
              (send some error message)
            ENDDO