  • Subject: IBM Offers Updated Version of Key Computer Line
  • From: "Mark Allen" <markallen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:51:06 -0500

Title: IBM Offers Updated Version of Key Computer Line
Yahoo! News Home - Yahoo! - My Yahoo! - News Alerts - Help

Reuters New Media

weather.com
travel weather
[]

Home  Top Stories  Business   Tech   Politics  World  Local  Entertainment  Sports  Science  Health  Full Coverage
Technology News - updated 10:27 AM ET Oct 16
My Add to My Yahoo!
Reuters  |  CNET  |  Internet Report  |  ZDNet  |  MacCentral  |  AP

Related Quotes
IBM
SUNW
DJIA
^IIX
NASDAQ
^PSE
S&P 500
112
117 1/16
10227.05
463.75
3314.93
951.84
1375.11
+2 15/16
+6 1/16
+34.87
+11.37
-1.84
-2.59
+0.94

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer

 Speak your mind
Discuss this story with other people.
[Start a Conversation]

(Requires Yahoo! Messenger)

Sunday October 15 9:11 PM ET
IBM Offers Updated Version of Key Computer Line IBM Offers Updated Version of Key Computer Line

NEW YORK (Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp. (NYSE:IBM - news), the world's largest computer maker, said on Sunday it is offering an updated version of a key line of powerful computers targeted at businesses that use the Internet.

The IBM p680 UNIX server, the latest computer under a new eServer brand name, is the latest version of IBM's RS/6000 computer line -- updated with a performance-boosting technology known as silicon-on-insulator.

``Silicon-on-insulator means the material is overlayed over the transistors,'' Rod Adkins, general manager, IBM Web servers, said in a telephone interview. ``You get better performance on lower power as well as better reliability.''

IBM said the technology allows for faster transaction processing and better performance in other business tasks.

The new IBM eServer p680 is priced starting at $420,000, and will be available next month, he said.

IBM said the technology it has developed and is moving throughout its server lines take aim at server market leader Sun Microsystems Inc. (NasdaqNM:SUNW - news)

Email this story - (View most popular)  |  Printer-friendly format

Earlier Stories
After Others Warn, Market Awaits IBM Earnings (October 10)

Archived Stories by Date: Oct 15 Oct 14 Oct 13 Oct 12 Oct 11 Oct 10 Oct 09 Oct 08 Oct 07 Oct 06 Oct 05 Oct 04 Oct 03 Oct 02 Oct 01 Sep 30 Sep 29 Sep 28 Sep 27 Sep 26 Sep 25 Sep 24 Sep 23 Sep 22 Sep 21 Sep 20 Sep 19 Sep 18 Sep 17 Sep 16 Sep 15

Search News
Search:  Stories   Photos   Full Coverage
Home  Top Stories  Business   Tech   Politics  World  Local  Entertainment  Sports  Science  Health  Full Coverage

Copyright © 2000 Yahoo! Inc., and Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.
Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy - Terms of Service