  • Subject: Re: Telnet tool shutdown
  • From: Jim Langston <jimlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 11:12:04 -0500

It all depends on what you mean by "Telnet tool".  Are you talking about
telnet.exe that comes with windows?  That is the actually "Telnet tool",
but when you say an ISP shut down telnet, you are talking about an ISP
shutting off access to port 23.  Which as far as I can tell is completely
ludicrous, since every other port is open through an ISP.

Or are you talking about the ISP shutting off port 23 on their servers?
Lots of ISPs do that, lots of computers don't have port 23 open.

The telnet tool can be used for a lot more than just the telnet port (23).
I play a mud which is on port 2525, I use telnet.  To check the status of
POP3 (110) and SMTP (25) servers.  I have even used it for HTTP (port 80)
and IRC (6000, 7600, etc...).

As far as and ISP shutting down access through port 23 (not to their servers,
but to other servers outside their network I would throw a stinking fit.
No other ports are disabled that way nor should port 23.

A port is just that, a port.  I can put anything I want on port 23 as I can
on any other port.  It is just the standard to put certain services on
different ports.

I would not blame them for disabling ports 31337 and 12345 though, though
I am fairly sure they would never do that since all the problems that it
would cause them.  (31337 is BackOrafice, 12345 is Netbus)

Regards,

Jim Langston