  • Subject: Re: SAV/RST spool files function in OS/400
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 01:45:44 EDT

Mark,

In a message dated 9/27/00 3:26:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
buck.calabro@aptissoftware.com writes:

> It has been so long I'm not sure where to start.  First there was this big
>  explosion and the hot gases condensed and formed the earth.  Then came the
>  dinosaurs, etc.

I thought that _WE_ were the dinosaurs :)!

>  Christopher (now 9) is in soccer, baseball, and karate.  Still complains he
>  is bored all the time.  Olivia (18 months) talks up a storm and loves daddy
>  more than mommy.  Liz is doing fine, mostly chasing kids all day.

OK, damnit.  You made _me_ feel old, now here's your turn -- Stephanie
started high school this year, James is in the second year of middle school.
We need to find a place to teach Steph to drive.  James wants to play
basketball somewhere that he'll actually get the ball (not FVAA).  Janet and
I celebrated our 15th anniversary this weekend.

>  We saw all of my family in Hot Springs over the 4th of July.  My mom and
dad
>  rented a resort for a week.  (These are not the same people I grew up
with).

Hmmm.  Wonder if it's the same place my Dad started working as Executive Chef
shortly after that.  Former Sheraton Lake Hamilton?  (_YOUR_ Dad?  How did he
get _THAT_ from railroad salvage?)

>  I'm in manufacturing.  Patterson has IT.  We are still running Symix.  I'm
>  studying for my MSCE.  Probably make a career change in the next year or
so.
>  (May need some consulting work to tide me over - if you know anyone in that
>  line of work:-)

I thought that you were done with computers!  The consulting market is still
in the tank compared to two years ago.  I'm not talking Y2K (which I avoided
like the plague), but anybody wanting to pay decent money for anything.  We
need more H1-B's?  No, we need more _cheap_ programmers.

However, you're in a good market for it.  Why don't you go over to Southwest
Airlines, straighten out their out-of-control IT, and make my mom's life a
lot easier?  I think that you still remember how not to throw new software in
without testing it in at least a semi-real-world environment.  Visit
www.dice.com and see what's out there for you.  Too bad you never learned the
AS/400 -- your VB skills would be in high demand!

>  I heard Hartzell finally got the boot.  Something about making bonus and
>  then having a 600k inventory write down that pisses people off.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

>  I read SSA/BPCS went belly up.  What happened - client server problems
>  finally kill it.  Where does that leave you?

Bought out by Gores for a fraction of what my last three clients paid for
their software.  Client/server problems were the start, but a combination of
arrogance, mismanagement, and keeping Roger Covey too long were the ultimate
reason for its demise.  Not quite sure where that leaves me, as there are
still 10K BPCS clients and the rest of the ERP industry is slumping badly.
Frankly, I'm trying to learn JAVA...

>  So, how is everyone on your end.

Good.  Dad's working in Hot Springs.  Mom still works for Southwest.  Steve's
on blood pressure medicine.  Marks is still working for that insurance
company in the Memphis area.

>  mt
>
>  PS  I thought about you at a party the other night when they pulled out the
>  tequila.  Let's get rowdy.

Ohhh.  Still can't drink that stuff outside of a margarita.  Say hi to
Paterson and the family for me...

Dean