  • Subject: Re: INCREDIBLE - what am I missing here... ??? !!!
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 13:44:25 EDT

alistairr@tbsa.co.za writes:

> But don't believe me. Forrester group says it's the most secure machine.
>  Gartner says it's the most reliable. The As/400 goes way beyond DoD Orange
>  Book security. Yes, you can tighten Linux up to an impressive degree, but I
>  would make an educated guess here and say that 90% of Linux machines are
not
>  set up with impressive security. 90% of AS/400's are.

We do not have the disk space for a lot of IBM Help on-line and I have a ton
of these IBM Q-Profiles ... Is there some place where they are all explained,
so I can see if it is safe to deactivate them all or expire their passwords
or something so that no one can sign on as them, but jobs can run with their
identities?

Ideally I want guidance on how to secure them without having to remember
passwords for each & every one.  I have changed passwords on IBM Q-etc. but I
had to use a simple algorithm ... it just is not possible for me to remember
all the passwords without writing them down - there are just too many of
these IBM Q-etc.

Could you update me on URLs so I can look at these reports that you mention?
I have come across several white papers for sale, but so far have been
looking at the freebies.
The best white paper I have looked at so far, thanks to a lead by someone on
this forum, is NT vs. AS/400 @ http://www.as400.ibm.com/conslt/nt.htm
I have been on http://www.techrepublic.com/ad_click_in.jhtml?id=1067 & so far
have not stumbled over Gartner Group white paper on AS/400.
It is possible that the right URL is one on my list of leads here that I have
not yet explored, but I do not remember Forrester on any of those leads.
By Orange book security, are you referring to C2 of TCSEC or is there
something else out there?

I shot off my mouth again on another of the general forums ... check out the
eCommerce Discussion List sign-up page at:

    http://www.year2000.com/ecommerce

Archives for the list can be found at
http://maggie.tenagra.com/scripts/lyris.pl?visit=ecommerce-discuss
or by going to the sign up link & selecting the archives … click READ for
latest & work backwards or fill in SEARCH with a word like "Security" then
click SEARCH to start at postings relevant to your Search.  If you use
"Security" it will take you to my post yesterday about "Computer Security
Myths"

IBM produced a Red Book on Performance Oprimization for BPCS on AS/400.

Are there any equivalent publications or resources on optimizing Security for
particular software packages on AS/400 ... I don't mean marketing that says
throw out the package & get a more secure one, I mean what is the best
security job we can do if we want to remain on that package?

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies