  • Subject: Re: Training Courses
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 07:42:45 -0400

I've been on the satellite training for a full year. It's been great! Taken
9-10 courses (about $20,000 worth for less than a 1 week course in
Rochester. Many courses are week long compressed into 10-15 hrs. They take
out the breaks, dead time in a real class, etc. There are 10 channels
broadcast simultaneously. You get a license for how many can be viewed at a
time. I just have the one at my house. The only thing you pay for is class
materials ( I never get them, but it's a money thing.)They were fairly
disorganized in the beginning. Not all the promised classes ever made it to
the schedule (even now). BUT, the schedule is great!. There are 4 or more
different WebSphere courses, Net.Commerce, multitude of Java & obj oriented.
E-commerce courses that are very insightful. AS400 Operations, Security,
Performance, TCP, Firewall (yes-they still do the discontinued Firewall
course-still good info) and more. Also Net.Data, DB2, MQ Series, SQL. Also
NT Admin courses, Linux, many AIX & S390. Also good basic communications
courses, TCP, SNA, networking etc. And more courses added. Several new
400-related courses listed as coming very soon. At one time there was a
promise of Lotus courses-but nothing yet. What I have not seen (yet) is RPG
at any level. There is an ILE Fundamentals course. To see the schedule, I
like the www.etnetworks.com site (on 1st screen, choose "class participant"
and the schedule in Excel format. You certainly lose "something" by not
being in an interactive live class, and I can see that raw beginners need
more help, but for increasing your current skills, this is GREAT!!!
Worth looking at. Jim Franz