  • Subject: Re: lost contact to 5294 remote controller
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 02:00:24 EDT

> Our line to a remote 5294 controller was unplugged. After reconnecting, vary
>  off  - vary on, we received CPF594C    mode QRMTWSC specified for remote
>  location CHLINE is not configured. After creating the mode description, the
>  5294 controller is vary on pending. How can we debug this problem.
>
>  TIA
>
>  Larry Wagner

We have had multiple variations on this kind of thing in the past, but we no
longer have a 5294 ... we have a 5394 emulating a 5294 (don't ask ... L O N G
story why)
What usually worked for us was.
1. Make sure everything is in fact correctly connected hardware wise.
2. Physically Turn off the modems at both ends (break phone connection).
3. Wait 10 minutes until the error messages have finished cycling.
4. Physically Turn on the modems at both ends ... at this point the equipment
attempts hand shaking & re-establishing phone connection & there is another
flurry of error messages.

Usually this solves it for us.  If not, the next stuff we look at.

There was some way that the 5294 "remembered" the configuration of all the
stuff connected to it ... was that on a little diskette?   Did you have an
extra copy of the diskette just in case?

Three things had to be in agreement.
The host's "map" of everything hooked up to the remote controller.
The remote controller's "map" of where everything was that was hooked up to
it.
The real world "map" of what was actually hooked up.

Are you on IBM hardware CE service contract?
IBM has network support out of Atlanta that is first rate.
They can walk non-technical people through a series of tests to find out if
the problem is where you think it is, and what is needed.

If you can get to one of the error messages on QSYSOPR there's an option to
analyse the problem.  You can also get to the same kind of stuff via GO
CMDPRB or something like that.  This takes you into different kinds of
diagnostics depending on the nature of the problem.  Some of it is pretty
slick.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©