  • Subject: RE:
  • From: "Gary R. Patterson" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:17:50 -0500

You can debug programs running in an FTP server job.  Remember to compile
your ILE program with DBGVIEW(*SOURCE).

1) Start an FTP session and supply a valid user ID and password.

C:\WINDOWS>ftp MY400
Connected to MY400.
220-QTCP at MY400.
220 Connection will close if idle more than 166 minutes.
User (MY400:(none)): MYPROFILE
331 Enter password.
Password: xxxxxxxxxx
230 MYPROFILE logged on.

2) In a terminal session, identify the server job that you are connected to
(it will hold a lock on the user profile used to log into the FTP server):

WRKOBJLCK MYPROFILE *USRPRF

Note: If you sign on to FTP using a profile that is widely used, you might
see a lot of jobs locking that profile.  An easy way to determine which one
is yours is to enter the DSPJOB command as an FTP remote command (in the FTP
client window):

ftp> quote rcmd dspjob

Check WRKSPLF for the FTP signon profile and find the job name in the
QPDSPJOB spooled file.

3) Start a service job over the job identified in step 2.

STRSRVJOB QTPFTPxxxx

4) Start debug.  Since you are servicing another job, debug commands apply
to the serviced job.

STRDBG MYLIB/MYPROGRAM UPDPROD(*YES) DSPMODSRC(*YES)

5) Set breakpoints, or step.

BREAK xx -OR- F10

6) Cause the program to be invoked (I am just doing an explicit FTP remote
command invocation.  You can execute any AS/400 command in FTP by executing
"QUOTE RCMD command".  If you are using an FTP exit program, just do a
download (or whatever) to kick off the exit program.

ftp> quote rcmd CALL MYLIB/MYPROGRAM

7) The source debug screen will pop if and when your program hits your
breakpoint(s).  Since you are servicing another job, it will be slower than
debugging in the same job.  You can use manual debugging if you prefer, but
it is slow, too.

(I'm on OS/400 V4R4, and I used the Win98 FTP client to connect to the
AS/400 FTP server.  Sample program was an ILE RPG program compiled with
DBGVIEW(*SOURCE).)

Gary R. Patterson
NexSource, Inc.

980 N Michigan Ave, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 214-3526

640 W. Main St.
Louisville, KY 40202
(502) 581-0106

Information technology services for business
http://www.nexsource.com