  • Subject: Re: Calculating working days
  • From: Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 07:18:18 -0500

oludare wrote:

> Is there a tool or utility that can be use to calculate a date from a
> given date with a duration of 'n' business days (Mon-Fri).
> (assume no holidays)

It's not fancy, but here is mine:

      *
                   *
      *   PROGRAM:  SUB099            Author:  Jeff Crosby
                   *
      *
                   *
      *  FUNCTION:  Given a date and the number of days or business days to
add, determine that    *
      *             date.
                   *
      *
                   *
      *     INPUT:  InDate     - The given date.  The form is YYYYMMDD.
                   *
      *             DaysToAdd  - The number of days away from that date.  Can
be plus or minus.    *
      *             DayType    - "B" means add business days, anything else
means regular days.    *
      *             LDA is not used.
                   *
      *             External indicators (switches) are not used.
                   *
      *
                   *
      *   PROCESS:  This subprogram converts the given date to *ISO.  Then, if
the DayType field   *
      *             is "B", determines the actual number of days that converts
to.  Then the       *
      *             number of days is added and the resulting *ISO date is
converted back to       *
      *             YYYYMMDD.
                   *
      *
                   *
      *             This routine would serve no useful purpose as a main
program                   *
      *             program.
                   *
      *
                   *
      *    OUTPUT:  OutDate    -  The computed date as YYYYMMDD.
                   *
      *
                   *
      *      EXIT:  When this is done.  This subprogram remains in memory until
the calling        *
      *             program goes to EOJ.
                   *
      *
                   *
      *- - - - - - - - - - - - - CHANGE HISTORY - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                   *
      *           Ini-
                   *
      *    Date   tials  Description of modifications.
                   *
      *  -------- -----  -----------------------------
                   *
      *
                   *
      *  07/25/96  JLC   Initial write.
                   *
      *
                   *

     H/EJECT
     D/EJECT
      *
      * Parameter fields
      *
     D Adjust          S              1P 0
     D DaysToAdd       S             11P 0
     D DayType         S              1
     D InDate          S              8S 0
     D OutDate         S              8S 0
      *
      * Work fields
      *
     D ActDays         S             11P 0
     D ActWeeks        S              7P 0
     D DayNum          S              1P 0
     D DayNumOrg       S              1P 0
     D ExtraDays       S              1P 0
     D Sunday          S               D   Datfmt(*ISO)
     D                                     Inz(D'1996-01-07')
     D WDaysToAdd      S                   Like(DaysToAdd)
     D WrkDateISo      S               D   Datfmt(*ISO)
     D WrkDays         S             11P 0
     D WrkWeeks        S             11P 0

     C/EJECT

      * Entry parameter list
     C     *ENTRY        PLIST
     C                   PARM                    InDate
     C                   PARM                    DaysToAdd
     C                   PARM                    DayType
     C                   PARM                    OutDate

      * Main processing

      * Clear output date
     C                   Eval      OutDate = *Zero
      * Move to *ISO field
     C     *ISO          Move      Indate        WrkDateISO
      * Determine what day of the week the it is (1=Monday,
      * 2=Tuesday, etc.)
     C                   Exsr      GetDayOfWk
      * If the input date is a Saturday or Sunday on a business day
      * compute, go back to Friday
     C                   If        DayType = 'B' and
     C                             DayNum > 5
     C                   Eval      Adjust = DayNum - 5
     C                   Subdur    Adjust:*D     WrkDateISO
     C                   Eval      DayNum = 5
     C                   Endif
      * Save the original day number
     C                   Eval      DayNumOrg = DayNum
      *
      * Determine the actual number of days to add:
      *
      *   If business days
     C                   If        DayType = 'B'
      *   Determine how many full weeks of business days there are,
      *   and how many extra days.
     C                   If        DaysToAdd >= *Zero
     C     DaysToAdd     Div       5             ActWeeks
     C                   Mvr                     ExtraDays
     C                   Else
     C                   Eval      WDaysToAdd = DaysToAdd * -1
     C     WDaysToAdd    Div       5             ActWeeks
     C                   Mvr                     ExtraDays
     C                   Eval      ActWeeks = ActWeeks * -1
     C                   Eval      ExtraDays = ExtraDays * -1
     C                   Endif
      *   The actual days to add is 7 days for every full
      *   week plus the days beyond a full week.
     C                   Eval      ActDays = (ActWeeks * 7) + ExtraDays
      *   If all days
     C                   Else
     C                   Eval      ActDays = DaysToAdd
     c                   Endif
      * Add the days away to it.
     C                   Adddur    ActDays:*D    WrkDateISO
      * Determine what day of the week the it is (1=Monday, 2=Tuesday, etc.)
     C                   Exsr      GetDayOfWk
      * On a business day add, if it came out on a weekend or crossed a weekend,
      * go 2 more days whatever direction.
     C                   If        DayType = 'B'
     C                   If        DayNum > 5 or
     C                             (DayNumOrg + Extradays) > 5 or
     C                             (DayNumOrg + Extradays) < *Zero
     C                   If        DaysToAdd >= *Zero
     C                   Adddur    2:*D          WrkDateISO
     C                   Else
     C                   Subdur    2:*D          WrkDateISO
     C                   Endif
     C                   Endif
     C                   Endif
      * Move to return field
     C     *ISO          Move      WrkDateISO    OutDate
      * Return
     C                   Return
     C/EJECT
      *
      * Determine the day of the week for the date
      *
     C     GetDayOfWk    Begsr
      * Determine what day of the week the in date is (1=Monday, 2=Tuesday,
etc.)
     C     WrkDateISO    Subdur    Sunday        WrkDays:*D
     C     WrkDays       Div       7             WrkWeeks
     C                   Mvr                     DayNum
     C                   If        DayNum < 1
     C                   Eval      DayNum = DayNum + 7
     C                   Endif
     C                   Endsr

--
-Jeff
The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily