  • Subject: CISC to RISC xfer of lic pgm product
  • From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:02:18 -0400

My only remaining V3R2 client just informed me they are (finally)
ready to replace the box with a new AS/400.  HURRAY!!  No more coding
to a V3R2 target release!

But I'm not current on what the options are for them in terms of
software licenses and fees.  They currently have a P10 tier box.
Obviously, the new box will come with a V4 license for the OS, but not
all the program products they currently use.  The V3R2 box will be
retired after a side-by-side upgrade.

Here are the basic questions, for now anyway:

 - Can they just pay a V3 to V4 upgrade fee on the necessary licensed
programs, then start up software subscription?

 - Does the concurrency fee apply to a V3R2 to V4 upgrade, or is that
just for a V4 customer who opted not to be on software subscription
then later wants an update?

 - When using PCAS400 to get software upgrade charges and I select a
P05 tier box as the replacement, I'm given a chance to keep pgm
products at a "higer GCL". GCL is not defined.  It appears when I do,
the upgrade charges are for a P10 to P10 upgrade and when I do not
they are for a P05 to P05 upgrade.  In either case, software
subscription seems to be based on P05 charges.  What is "GCL" and what
benefit is there later to have paid these charges now (roughly double
the P05 charges) if software subscription has been billed at P05
prices?  Could they then later move to a P10 box without paying the
P05 to P10 upgrade?  Would only software subscription go up later?

 - The current box has a CPW rating of around 16.  Using the web's
workload estimator, I'm coming up with recommendations of machines in
the 25-20 CPW range for interactive load.  What's the best way to make
sure this is adequate to avoid the infamous CFINT govenor?

TIA,
Doug