  • Subject: Re: Ready to scrap an AS/400
  • From: dbryant@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:18:32 -0400

I have to reply.... we just upgraded to a 720 model (v4r4), loaded up with more
disk space and more memory. It is screaming!!! Our job queue used to backup so
badly (sometimes 4 or 5 pages of jobs waiting), now you can't catch jobs in the
job queue, (unless you hold the job queue or something is halted with a message
waiting). I mean, IT REALLY  IS FAST!  I love it !

|--------+--------------------------->
|        |          "Daniel          |
|        |          Wesloskie"       |
|        |          <dwesloskie@altat|
|        |          ennis.org>       |
|        |                           |
|        |          07/21/2000 01:29 |
|        |          PM               |
|        |          Please respond to|
|        |          MIDRANGE-L       |
|        |                           |
|--------+--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com                  |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Darlene H Bryant/Banpharm)         |
  |       Subject:     Ready to scrap an AS/400            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------|

Right now, my perception IS reality!  I'm about ready to scrap this piece
of junk AS/400 for something else.  It just plain can't do the job!  We
have a 170 (V4R4M0)that is running Domino(5.0.4) and a voice response system
(VRS) as
the main applications along with the backend applications.  So there isn't
much to the system and it still can't handle it.  Domino locks up and causes
problems for the VRS as the http server consumes more of the cpu %.  This
means
members who are calling in to the VRS are either getting kicked out of the
system halfway through their process, or they can't even get in.  It also
means
that anyone who is trying to pay for memberships get locked out.  I can only
imagine what these people think, but I'm almost sure it's not good.  Since
many
of the membership include people who would be influential in the decisions
their own companies systems, I would ask, How is this for an advertisement
for
the AS/400? or How long can my business afford to be down with AS/400?

Ticked off with the AS/400.