  • Subject: Need help with Query Management Query / Form Confusion
  • From: "Robert E. Burger" <rburger@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 19:40:29 -0500

First, I apologize if this comes through three times.  I sent it from my
work account at 2PM on 7/12 and again this morning and it never showed up.
I think there is a problem between work and the list because another
unrelated message I posted from home last night came through almost
immediately.  And now back to our regularly scheduled call for help!

Having given in to the parameter limitations of Query/400, I have just
started using Query Manager and overall am very impressed.  However, I have
two problems.  First, is there not a way to create a cover page like there
is in Query/400?  It seems to me this is really needed -- I use it to tell
the user whether the Query is in TEST or PRODUCTION, explain what the query
does and list any dependencies.  If it's not available I guess I'll get
over it - I had resigned myself to using the FINAL TEXT for that purpose
until I ran into this next issue.  The second issue that I must figure out
and I know I'm not seeing the forrest for the trees has to do with break
footer and final text being truncated.  I have a COUNT on the second column
in the report.  Even though the footer / final text fields are on a
different line that the summary data, the text is truncated at the end of
the field before the first summary column!  Surely there is a way to
prevent this text from being truncated other than removing the summary
field or moving that column to the right side of the report!  Also, I have
tried RIGHT, LEFT and CENTER positions as well.  I have copied in the
various defininition screen captures in the QMFORM at the bottom of this
message.  Here is a sample of the problem output:

                495,023  0710953
                512,727  0709899
            ------------
                     122
 This is th
                 This is the page footer which also seems to work
 07/12/00 14:02:43
                  This is the page heading which seems to work!
                CID / ML
  Program        Number  Case Number
  --------- ------------ ----------------------
            ============
                     311
 Final - Th
                 This is the page footer which also seems to work
 07/12/00 14:02:43

Note the "This is th" below the 122 summary count.  It should read "This is
the break footer which gets truncated".  The final text entry under the 311
of " Final - Th" was truncated from "This is the final text which gets
truncated".  The definition screens for the headers and footers appear
below:
                                Edit Page Heading

 Type choices, press Enter.
   Blank lines before . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999
   Blank lines after  . . . . . . . . . . . .   2            0-999

 Page text:  Use &col, &DATE, &TIME, and &PAGE to cause variable insertion.

 Line  Align            Page Heading Text
   1   CENTER           This is the page heading which seems to work!

<snip>
Edit Page Footing

 Type choices, press Enter.
   Blank lines before . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999
   Blank lines after  . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999

 Page text:  Use &col, &DATE, &TIME, and &PAGE to cause variable insertion.

 Line  Align            Page Footing Text
   1   CENTER           This is the page footer which also seems to work

<snip>
Edit Final Text

 Type choices, press Enter.
   New page for final text  . . . . . . . . .   Y            Y=Yes, N=No
   Blank lines before . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999, BOTTOM
   Put final summary at line  . . . . . . . .   1            1-999, NONE

 Final text:  Use &col to cause variable insertion.

 Line  Align            Final Text
   5   CENTER           This is the final text which gets truncated

<snip>
                                 Edit Final Text

 Type choices, press Enter.
   New page for final text  . . . . . . . . .   Y            Y=Yes, N=No
   Blank lines before . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999, BOTTOM
   Put final summary at line  . . . . . . . .   1            1-999, NONE

 Final text:  Use &col to cause variable insertion.

 Line  Align            Final Text
   5   LEFT             Final - This is the final text which gets truncated

<snip>
                               Edit Break Heading

 Break level  . . . . . . . . . :   1

 Type choices, press Enter.
   Put on new page  . . . . . . . . . . . . .   Y            Y=Yes, N=No
   Repeat column heading  . . . . . . . . . .   Y            Y=Yes, N=No
   Blank lines before . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999
   Blank lines after  . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999

 Break text:  Use &col to cause variable insertion.

 Line  Align            Break Heading Text
   1   LEFT             This is the break header which seems to work

<snip>
                               Edit Break Footing

 Break level  . . . . . . . . . :   1

 Type choices, press Enter.
   Put on new page  . . . . . . . . . . . . .   N            Y=Yes, N=No
   Blank lines before . . . . . . . . . . . .   0            0-999, BOTTOM
   Blank lines after  . . . . . . . . . . . .   1            0-999
   Put break summary at line  . . . . . . . .   1            1-999, NONE

 Break text:  Use &col to cause variable insertion.

 Line  Align            Break Footing Text
   3   LEFT             This is the break footer which gets truncated

<snip>

Thanks in advance for any answers, suggestions or workarounds to either of
these problems.

Robert E. Burger
Information Systems Coordinator
Tarrant County CSCD