  • Subject: Re: degree requirement / employment / careers
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 15:18:10 EDT

>  I guess that it really comes down to the reason a person went to another
>  company.  It is much more preferable to go to another company for an
>  opportunity to do something new that to leave a company to get out of a bad
>  situation.  Some folks like steady, routine work.  Others like variety,
>  newness.  Neither is good or bad, but you have to slot them for the correct
>  position.

Aside from these realities, there is also the size of the MIS staff & the
degree of freedom for individual members of that staff.

I have worked in the large staff where I get stuck with pretty much one area
in which I specialize & am considered to be the company expert in that stuff
but I hated it.

Most of my career I have worked in the small staff where I get to do all the
different kinds of MIS jobs there are ... programming & operations & security
& hardware (I am not too keen on hardware any more) ... in the programming
area, I work on all the different applications & all the different kinds of
interfaces.

Some of it is mundane mucking with the same old program to add some new
feature to it & some of it is brand new programming something we never did
before.  I tend to believe that I have more freedom to enter new areas when I
am the only person doing the programming for a company, than if I was one cog
in a big wheel of many programmers.

There is the problem of the company not willing to get us the tools we think
we need to be proficient, but I have found that problem at both small & large
shops.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor