  • Subject: Re: degree requirement
  • From: Eric Merritt <cyberlync@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 06:11:21 -0700 (PDT)

I will agree with Jeff on this one, I have faced allot
of the same problems that he has. I never had the
opportunity to attend college. Unfortunately, things
just never seemed to work out that way at that
particular time in my life. I still ended up in this
industry through a fairly round about way. Now I have
been a programmer for three or four years I know
serval languages on at least four different platforms.
So far I have yet to meet a college graduate with a
similar level of experience that I can't program rings
around. Yet every time I walk into a new company I
have to prove myself all over again just because I
lack that useless peace of parchment.

> Personality, honesty, sincerity, integrity are more
>valuable guides that can only be judged in an
>interview, by screening out all c.v's without a
>degree on them is blinkered, short-sightedness in the
>extreme.  The importance of qualifications should
>decrease as relevant experience increases.

This is absolutely the case and I wish more hiring
managers and IT professionals could see that.

(Sorry guys this just hit on a sore spot for me)