  • Subject: InfoPrint 21 printer requiring PSF/400
  • From: "John C. Bradley" <jcbradley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:51:41 -0400

I just got an InfoPrint 21 last Thursday with the AFP/IPDS plus ethernet
adapter and I'm one happy camper!  I just discovered this morning that
the printer has its own built-in web page with graphics, on-line help,
status, controls, configurability and it apparently can even be told to
go out to the web and print a file.  Oh, brave new world!

There might be a snake in Paradise, though.  When I start the writer
job, I get a QSYSOPR message telling me that I'm not licensed for
PSF/400 and my temporary use permission will expire September 9th.  The
second level message text says I can use CHGPRTDEVD (or was that
CHGDEVD?) to remove the AFP *YES parameter.  When I try this, I get a
message in effect that the printer is inherently an AFP device and that
can't be changed.

I've asked the IBM Business Partner that I bought the printer from to
research this for me.  I'm interested in finding out what PSF/400 would
cost on my processor group P20 AS/400.  I also don't really think I need
AFP or PSF/400 functionality at this time ... I was mainly interested in
IPDS printer support.  I noticed in the fine print that "most" IPDS
printers are _not_ AFP printers and also noticed that the InfoPrint 21
seems to convert AFP print streams to IPDS in order to print them.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to experiment and see if, by totally deleting
the device description and then recreating it, whether I can get the
printer redefined as a non-AFP unit.  I'll let the list know the
results.

Anyway, it is a really nice printer so far.  Setup was straightforward
once we decided a little RFM was in order.  It's speedy, quiet and the
text output looks great.

I am _not_, repeat _not_ involved in the marketing of this printer in
any way other than than that of a happy customer.