  • Subject: Re: Object Security
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 02:19:35 EDT

SC41-3000 blue cover manual "Tips and Tools for securing your AS/400" should
have come with your OS/400 - this was the single greatest OS/400 security
manual I ever saw prior to IBM school on the subject ...it is part of my
reccommended reading to all new managers that I report to (none of whom have
looked at it to my knowledge) and to project team members associated with
upgrades & application development (3 of these folks have studied it) ...
also check out S6019 student notebook appendix B "AS/400 Security Tips and
Check Lists"

This blue cover manual makes many types of security meaningful ,,, you can
see what is very similar to S/36 thinking & what is new to your latest
reality.  There's examples of various internet & other connections in which
it spells out the security risks you need to deal with.  However, two
chapters are missing from this fnine manual.

(1) Balancing what typical software vendors do to us contrary to the spirit
of IBM security reccommendations, especially those vendors that have the
strong backing of IBM marketing ... in some cases responsible compromises are
possible & should be spelled out, instead of the reality of one branch of IBM
making security suggestions, and another branch of IBM making their
implementation a joke.

(2) Implications & risks of compounding common management decisions which in
concert open some security doors & what the degrees of rsik are ... here's
examples from where I work
We have ERP, that at one time IBM reccommended at the same time as
reccommending totally contrary security than the practices of that ERP, in
which all users in a group have ownership privileges to all files in the ERP.
Most users have command line authority.
Many users connect via PCs.
We are on the internet & have PC Anywhere & Carbon Copy & other systems like
that.
Our ECS line has zero security over & above any physical connections ... it
had at one time but that was taken away from me ... and several vendors have
connection protocols in which we have zero knowledge of what kind of security
practices those vendors might have sharing passwords of their employees
accessing our system.

I see humongous security exposures in the above story, for which the IBM
manuals do not address which of the above decisions warrant the most effort
to secure better, and I do not consider our mixture to be that unique.

PS you cannot dial into our AS/400 from the web site in my sig.
If you go to the customer service page & you happen to know one of our ERP
end customer item#s, which use the customer part# as our item#, you can get
at pretty current info on that item, but this data is delivered to web site
in a way we believe to be satisfactorily hacker proof unless the hacker
compromises our ISP.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor