  • Subject: QLZARTV not returning license info as expected
  • From: Dave Murvin <davem@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 12:12:45 -0700

Hi All,

I am having trouble getting the software product licensing APIs to return
an expiration date (other than 9999999) for a trial version of a software
product.

The goal is to be able to send out the product to any AS/400 without
knowing the serial number in advance and without having to install a
software key for the specific machine.  The product would run for 30 days
from RSTLICPGM without having a software key for the specific machine.  I
don't care how many users use the product or what size of machine they
have.  I am looking for a Go/No Go situation based on the date.

The following information is used with the Add Product License Info API
(QLZADDLI) format LICI0100:

LicenseInfoDS   DS

D  UsageType                     2    Inz('01')
Concurrent limit
D  Compliance                    2    Inz('03')
Must have key
D  DftUsageLimit                10I 0
Inz(*Zero)                           Allowed days w/o key
D  LicenseTerm                   1    Inz('1')
Entire Version
D  AllowLicRel                   1    Inz('0')
Can't be released
D  VendorPasswrd                10    Inz('xxxxxxxxx')
D  GracePeriod                  10I 0
Inz(30)                              Grace period days
D  AllowGracePer                 1    Inz('1')                             Yes

I have also tried GracePeriod of *Zero

When I use the Retrieve License Info API (QLZARTV), all the fields in the
LICR0200 format are returned as expected except for the expiration dates.

Grace Period expires = 9999999
Expiration date = 9999999

What I would expect is that one or both of these dates would reflect a date
30 days after the date that the product was restored using the RSTLICPGM
command.  I get the same dates with a grace period of zero.

When I use the WRKLICINF command for the product, it shows the following:

Keyed compliance information:
Expiration date *NONE
Grace period 30 (or 0)
Date grace period expires *NONE

I am testing this process on the same machine that I create the product on
using SAVLICPGM then RSTLICPGM.  I don't think I have a library list
problem since the product adds a PRD library to the library list.

Am I missing something?  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave Murvin
DRM Enterprises, Inc.
davem@drme.com