  • Subject: Re: one external IP to multiple internal IPs? Ideas?
  • From: "David Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:04:43 -0400

Wingate (proxy server software) allows you to have multiple internal Telnet
hosts.  What happens (theoretically) is you telnet to the Wingate proxy box,
then you get a login prompt of some kind.  At this point, you are supposed
to give either a name or IP address of the telnet host you want to get to.

I used this just once with Windows telnet - it actually worked.  But, since
I only have a single telnet host to point to, I disabled the feature.  This
feature might confuse a CA Express or similar product.

One other approach is to use different ports.  Say you had three internal
telnet hosts - an AS400, a 170, a 720 and an F50.  Their internal IP
addresses are 192.168.0.101, .102 and .103 respectively.  You could set up
your Wingate proxy box to accept port 23 from the 'outside', then forward it
to 192.168.0.101 port 23.  This would be your 'vanilla' telnet host.  You
could set up Wingate to foward port 8123 to 192.168.0.102 port 23, and port
8124 to 192.168.0.103 port 23.  You would set up your telnet client to go to
your 'outside' ip address and port 8124 to sign on to your F50.

It depends what you're trying to do, and which ports are involved, and what
the client software will support.  Other problems crop up with 'multi-port'
services like FTP, or things like Code/400, where the STRCODE command
attempts to open a connection going OUT.  This is often the achilles heel.

Time share a current model AS/400 over the internet!
Individual developers, company development and testing, or full outsourcing.
Get access to RPG, Cobol, C, SQL, Java and more for a low monthly fee.
http://www.timeshare400.com
mailto:timeshare400@arctools.com