Brad,

Assuming that the *SAVF contains the program which loads the file, that
the [ is a constant in the *PGM, that the *PGM is in CCSID 37, that
the system generally runs jobs with a CCSID of 65535, and that you
really want the character [ to be encoded in CCSID 285 (x'B1') so as
to not require job and *DSPF CCSID processing (whew), then I would:

1.  Make sure the program is running in a job with CCSID 37
2.  Make sure the database file is pre-created with CCSID 285
3.  Run the program

This should get your *PGM x'BA' to be stored as x'B1' in the *FILE and
have the [ show up correctly on the 285 displays (with minimal work).

WARNING though: assuming the users may enter the character [ and your
programs need to recognize this character, your program constants will
still be x'BA' while the job value will be x'B1' (assuming no job or
*DSPF CCSID processsing).  This could be a definite problem requiring
more work.  The correct thing to do here is not store constants in the
*PGM, but rather in a 37 file that can be read by the program (with a
correct job CCSID) so all character constants are in the correct CCSID
(for subsequent processing).

Bruce