  • Subject: Re: Is the AS/400 a dying Ember
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 16:14:24 -0400

I don't think the AS/400 is the dying ember (although I do get this picture
in my head of IBM Management/Marketing standing around the campfire, ......
trying to put out the fire). Much of the comparisons lately have been about
"niche" serving, ie web serving, etc. The 400, I think, still wins the
Enterprise Serving category, but that doesn't make headlines. The headlines
lately are web serving, database serving, etc. The AS/400 is not about
single users, or departmental specialty serving (other than the Domino
Bumble Bee). It's about the the whole corporation. If something else is a
better web server (and I certainly don't think it's Windoze-will somebody
please re-boot me), than IBM better bring the 400 up to speed, or make a
REAL CLEAR statement of the best way to web serve in an AS/400 environment
(not like the 400 Firewall statement-did they ever really say anything??)
IBM has been INCREDIBLY slow at keeping the technology up to date. There
should NOT be a single update to WebSphere, MqSeries, DB2, etc, etc that is
not available AT THE SAME TIME to the AS/400, documented, tested &
supported. Where is the problem between Rochester & the rest of IBM? Even
with all the apparent problems, I don't think the 400 is dying. The trade
press will always be dominated by PC & Windows. The AS/400 is the boring box
that runs corporations. NT is there (10 NT's to do Word Processing, e-mail,
DHCP, etc. One AS/400 running the business!) From this, the trade press
announces that NT is taking over. Go figure. The AS/400 won't disappear for
the same reason mainframes are not disappearing. They are running the main
business applications.
Jim Franz