  • Subject: Re: Processor speed
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:24:54 -0500

In our situation it helps when the CEO keeps pestering us
to remove the last NT Domino application off of the NT box
and put it on the 400 ASAP.

spanner@ihug.co.nz on 04/26/2000 05:07:23 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
cc:
Fax to:

Dave

> doing Heavy work.  In the Client Server world, End user response times are
> criticall and this was our benchmark.  In order for an AS/400 to achieve
the
> same End User response times (ie opening Database, opening Documents,
sending
> E-mail's with Attachments,  refreshing the screen, submitting SOR's,PO's)
we
> needed a 4 way AS/400, adding more memory and more disks made little
difference,
> but I agree that when the Workload increases the AS/400 Scalability would
knock
> NT off the shelf,  this is why the AS/400 is the Ideal platform for Domino
> run on,  but at what Cost?

I have to say that I agree with you. It would seem to me that the lower end
machines do not deliver what an NT box solution appears to deliver, but when
you get to a couple of hundered users, then it's pretty difficult for an NT
box to compete. Unfortunately, the AS/400 needs to be sized correctly in the
first place, and certainly for smaller sites, the cost of an AS/400 to do
the job would (IMO) bury the AS/400 as a viable option. Running Domino on
the AS/400, especially if anything else is running, seems to require a lot
of initial grunt, far more than a comparable PC server would seem to
require - and at a far pricier premium.

Compounding the price performance issue is the difficulty of understanding
how to tune and administer Domino. My experience so far is that the Domino
Adminstrators I have encountered tend to offer "run it on an NT box" as
their advice when quizzed about scheduling, memory and resources etc.
therefore the AS/400 person is left to try and tune Domino running on the
AS/400. Not an easy task, especially as all the "old ways" are not quite
applicable.

Scalability is not really an issue when the in-house testing of Domino fails
and an NT solution appears to offer a more reponsive and robust solution and
the Domino Adminsitrator (who probably has NT at home with Domino running on
it) is quietly promoting NT.

Cheers
Evan Harris