  • Subject: RE: *** ADMIN: IMHO and Survey
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:06:29 -0700

I don't think that being enthusiastic about what the 400 can do is
incompatible with being uneasy about its future.  As a former Atari ST owner
(let's have a show of hands from those who never want to see the word
"Atari" again) I'm real familiar with this situation.

This forum reminds me of the Atari user group I used to belong to.  A lot of
the talk in the user group was about Atari's "marketing."  The other big
topic was things you could do with your Atari. (It was actually a fine music
and desktop publishing platform besides the games.)

The sound off session at COMMON reminded me of what happened at the Atari
club meetings when someone from Atari management came to the meetings.

I don't think anyone who subscribes to this list has negative feelings about
what the 400 can do.  There are people on this list who are doing
interesting things with the 400 that I couldn't conceive of doing, _and_
sharing the information.  IBM may not have the death wish the former Atari
management had, but they don't seem to care about the 400 too much.

I don't think it hurts to vent about what IBM is doing (or not doing) to the
400.  Course I subscribe to the principle that if you have something nice to
say about something, you should hold it in reserve in case you need to
apologise later.  <g>