  • Subject: Re: OS/400 V3R2 for Sale?
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 22:16:53 -0400

JDE Temp 1,

>Could someone kindly tell me where to buy an OS/400 V3R2

>I have an AS/400 9402 Model 400 2130 (software P05)

Note that the 400-2130 is a RISC box, so will not run V3R2.  You need
to get V3R6 or higher.  But at this point you should be looking for
V4R4 (or at least V4R3) for the box.

Also note that V3R6/7 could run with a minimum of 32MB main storage,
but V4Rx requires 64MB or greater.  One could presume the machine was
previously at V3Rx when sold, because V4Rx releases have a
transferable license for the OS.  Therefore you should also check your
memory to ensure you have at least 64MB installed.

You will need a new OS license from IBM or a business partner.

And lest you think you could just borrow someone's CDs to install --
don't bother.  The CD's would work, but you'd still need a unique
"system password" which can only be obtained with a valid OS license.

Doug