Hi Julie,

I think that your problem is occuring because when the user prompts the
field, you are performing validation without first redisplaying the screen
with the selected value.

I think your problem relates to one of the rules for errmsg/errmsgid
keywords which is that when one of these is in effect on an exfmt, the only
data sent to the screen is the attributes/option indicators to reverse
image the fields in error. None of the fields or data on the screen is
sent.

This means that if the display has changed in the meantime (which in your
case it will have done since the prompt function was performed) then weird
results can occur.

You can resolve the problem by changing your program logic so that if the
prompt function is selected, prompt processing is perfomed and the screen
is then redisplayed, for confirmation by the user. No validation should
take place until this has happened.

hth
Nigel

Julie wrote....
>.....  If the user enters an invalid field, prompts
>(calls window program), does not change field to a valid field, returns,
program
>validates field, field is invalid, ERRMSG set on, redisplay screen (EXFMT)
and
>the screen disappears (per se).  What I end up with is the section before
the
>prompt field is blank, at and after the prompt field is highlighted all
the way
>down to the end of the screen and (bless its little heart) my error
message does
>display.   For some reason, the setting on the ERRMSG after return from
the
>prompt call causes this problem.  I do not want to RSTDSP(*YES).
Thanks....