  • Subject: Re: AS/400 as a web server
  • From: "David Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 15:30:41 -0500

To get inbound SMTP to work, you set up a 'service' on port 25.  Bind it to
both cards (inside and outside).  Set up a default mapping (on the Mapping
tab) to the IP address of your AS/400 on the inside.  This will cause all
SMTP traffic showing up on the 'outside' card to get forwarded to your
AS400.  Set up another mapping on the 'Location' tab.  This mapping should
say that any port 25 traffic coming from the IP address of your AS400 should
be forwarded to the ip address or FQDN of your ISP's SMTP relay.  Tell the
AS400 that your Wingate box is your SMTP Gateway (i.e. don't expect the
AS/400 to deliver straight to the destination domain).  This part was a
bear - you can't put your Wingate IP address in here - you need a routing
table entry (I think...).  If you can't get this part to work, email me
privately and I'll backtrack and figure out how the heck I got this working.

Set up your domain's MX record to be the outside IP address of your Wingate
box (hopefully you have a fixed IP address).  Bingo.... mail coming to your
domain will forward to the AS400's SMTP server.  SMTP coming from the AS400
to the internet will go to the Wingate box as a 'relay', which will then
automatically relay it to your ISP's relay, who will then deliver it.

Good luck.  Let me know if I can help any more.