  • Subject: Re: Printing from AS/400 to Netware
  • From: "Paul Tykodi" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:24:54 -0500

Dear Kirk,

Because your customer has a Novell 5.x environment and will therefore be
managing their printing with NDPS, they will find that their Novell network
operating system includes an LPD server as part of its default
configuration. This Novell LPD server will allow a remote output queue on
the AS/400 (LPR client) to print directly to a Novell print queue (NDPS
defined printer) in the Novell environment (ie point #1 outlined below will
work).
It is also possible to send output from the AS/400 via IP (LPR) and have the
Novell server use IPX to send the data from the Novell server to the actual
printer. The benefit to using Novell queues with the AS/400 is that Novell
manages all of the spool files, their priorities, and the messages regarding
printing errors and print complete messages too. If you print directly from
the AS/400 to the IP printer and Novell prints to the same printer as well,
the network card in the printer has to manage conversations with multiple
hosts. Though these cards are designed for this type of work frequent
conversations with multiple hosts can sometimes hang the communication
between the printer and a certain host or hang up the printer internally.
Letting one network operating system manage the printer for all hosts will
usually result in a generally problem free printing environment for the end
users of the printer.
The web site http://www.novell.com/products/printing/ includes the links to
the online documentation for configuring the Novell LPD server function if
you need it.
HTH
--
/Paul