  • Subject: RE: OfficeVision!
  • From: "Al Barsa, Jr." <barsa2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 03:06:38 -0500

At 10:22 AM 3/14/00 -0500, you wrote:

Hi,

Me hold back.  You must be kidding or drunk.

IBM feels that it will be too expensive to maintain the APIs into OV.

Is this fair?   No.  But IBM is now taking the position that they want to
drop support for unpopular products, which is contrary to the AS/400 value
proposition.

 From my perspective, IBM could consider raising the support fees for OV to
see if this makes a good business case, but hurting customers this badly
(after marketing this product so aggressively years ago) requires an IQ
high enough that when you square it that it gets higher.

Al

>Hey Al,
>
>Don't hold back!  Express yourself!  Let it out!  ;-)
>
>Here's a stupid question:  OV/400 customers have already paid for this
>product, right?  (Snide aside: "In more ways than one")  If they no longer
>want to support it, why doesn't IBM just port OV/400 to future releases with
>the understanding that it is an unsupported product?  After all, OV/400
>should be fairly stable by now, and I would think most shops would rather
>not have to dig into potentially 7+ year old OV code (like help text and
>merge documents).  Would IBM have to change anything to the code just to
>keep it going on future releases?
>
>[Oxymoron alert!] Seems like it would be the _logical_ thing for IBM to do.
>
> >Some customers are moving to Domino (IBM' suggested solution) although
> >OV/400 doesn't provide 100% of OV, particularly in a 5250 environment.
>
>Huh?
>
>- Dan Bale

| Please do not send private mail to this address. |
| Private mail should go to barsa@ibm.net.         |

Al Barsa, Jr. - Account for Midrange-L
Barsa Consulting, LLC.
400 > 390