  • Subject: New disk, Disk balancing and 2748 controllers
  • From: "Allen, Stuart" <sallen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 04:50:06 -0600

Hi all,

On my 720 i've currently got 20x 4gb drives, in two RAID arrays of 10.  Each
array runs off a 2741 controller (one in the system unit, one in the
expansion).

I have a question about how the system will balance the load across these
new disk.  I'll run a DSKBAL after installation; will this a) change the
load so that the % used is the same across all disk, or b) change the load
so that the K used is the same across all disk (ie the 8gb drives will have
half the % used of the others)?

Lastly, is anyone using the 2748 drive controller?  I have a bit of money
left over and am wondering if it'd be beneficial to swap it one of the
2741's. As i'd be using it in a 720 it would only work as Ultra SCSI rather
than Ultra-2, but would still have the 6.5x improvement in cache size.
Anyone got any opinions whether this alone would be worth it?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Stuart

Stuart Allen