Dave:
Like most communications questions, the answers is "it depends".  There are
always a zillion answer to comm questions.  The situation you describe is
common.  If you wish to stay with an SNA only set up, they you could use a
FRAD connected v.35 to the AS400.  A FRAD (frame relay access device) is
similar to a router and most routers have FRADs built into them.  The FRAD
converts the FR frames to SNA packets.  WE have used Motorola Vanguard
routers as frads between the DSU (or they can have a DSU built in) and the
AS400 or 5494 controllers.
If you wish to convert to IP, you could use anynet (in my opinion not a good
choice), or use a router that converts the SNA to IP and back again.
(however this is basically what anynet does).  If you only wanted IP on the
WAN you could put and ethernet card in the Perle or IO controller and let
the remote controller conver the IP to SNA.  (not sure if the models you
have support this like a 5494 does).
While the Motorola routers are not the most widely installed, we have had
excellent success implementing them for SNA over Frame Relay.  If this is
all you are going to do, you may wish to look at the Vanguard 100 models.
Good luck.
CJG

Carl Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
540 Powder Springs Street
Suite C19
Marietta, GA  30064
770-422-2995
mailto: cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
EDI, Communications and AS400 Technical Consulting