Ron,

Is there a specific reason why the screen field is a 30-character entry, and
not, say, 50 or 80?

If the text is _always_ going to be displayed in a 30-character columns, go
with the WRDWRAP and don't fret about the extra white space in the field.

32,000?!?  So, if this field has 30000 characters typed in, you need to have
the ability to insert one character at the beginning of the field and shift
all the existing text over by one?  I dunno, but if you ask me, I think
you'd need to go GUI (think VA-RPG or some-such) to handle this one without
forcing a kludge on the users.

FWIW, this is what I did several years ago for a client who had a need to
enter free-form comments.  I defined a variable-length 1200-byte field,
defined it without WRDWRAP for the entry.  Starting at column 1, line 6, the
field took 15 lines on the display.  I gave them a function key that would
display another screen that displayed the 1200-byte field output-only and
used the BLKFOLD keyword so they could see what it would look like when it
got printed by another function.  I think I also defined a few control codes
to force new line, indent, etc., so it was a little more involved than a
simple re-display.

Too bad there's no subfile function to handle this.

- Dan Bale